1. Avoid processed food
2. Avoid processed sugar
3. Drink plenty of water
4. Make as many dishes as you can at home
5. Eat fiber
p.s. If you are ‘Friends’ fan then you might like the saying of Rachel’s sister: “one moment on the lips forever on the hips” 🙂 It helps me when I crave for something unhealthy 🙂
- Drink plenty of water during the day. I know that this tip is present in almost all of my blog posts however, this is actually a crucial tip. When you are drinking enough water during the day your body does not feel threatened that it will dehydrate and controls the water levels correctly. If, however, you dehydrate your body it keeps the water in to prepare for “worse” times and then you feel swollen.
- Control your salt intake. Salt is a main reason we are keeping water in our bodies. So, when you feel full quite often reduce salt in your dishes. I’m not saying get rid of salt in general, just reduce its amount. If you feel like you lack flavour in your food just add some herbs and it will balance the taste. Also, avoid fried food if possible. They contain a lot of salt and saturated fats that are also not helping in the water retention process.
- Drink nettle tea. It is perfect to get rid of the excess of water in your body. Remember, however, not to drink it before you go to bed, because you will end up waking up every 30 minutes to go to the toilet 😀 Drink it in the morning after breakfast preferably. You will see the results in no time.
- Eat some watermelon. Of course, only if you really like the fruit. But, if you do (like myself) you will see the difference when it comes to water retention. Watermelon contains 92% of water also it has many micro elements which are crucial for your body (especially during a heatwave). Therefore, it hydrates your body, gives you energy due to micro-elements and helps to get rid of the extra water in your body cells.
Being a Hashimoto’s Warrior I know how important it is to take care of your body from the inside (diet, medicine) and outside (skincare). In my past few articles I have mentioned skincare routine with Hashimoto’s, which you can find here and here. I focused mainly on my face and body. Now, as the summer is almost over I can see that there is another aspect that needs to be mentioned. What I mean here is lipcare. In my opinion, the two most harmful seasons for our lips are winter (because of the cold air) and summer (due to heat and humidity).
The skin on my lips is very dry. It is because due to Hashimoto’s and sugar level spikes I feel thirsty. I need to take care of them and during summer and winter I need to be extra careful. i can even see that when I do not put any lip products on my lips for too long it is then very difficult to bring them in good shape. That is why, I do not leave the house without proper products and I always have some lip products in every corner of my house.
Now, due to the fact that the basic lipcare is not very complex I decided to present you my most favourite lip products that I use everyday.
This is my go to lip product that I use when I am at home. I especially like to use it after I run a toothbrush on my lips. To moisture after a “scrub”. Also, I like to put a thick layer on the Vaseline while I’m doing my makeup in the morning. After that my lips are ready to survive any colour lipstick that I want to use (which I use really rarely due to m y drying lips)
This product is in my bag wherever I go. It is not too greasy and it is invisible on your lips. I also use it when I have a day when I like to wear a colour lipstick. I put it under the lipstick and on it to make my lips feel hydrated. It does not change the colour and the texture of the lipstick (even a matt one).
Right now I have blueberry flavour but previously I had coconut one. The first thing to say about that product is that is smells amazing: like AMAZING. Everytime I open the pot the smell relaxes me. The other advantage is that it leaves sort of a milky shine on your lips (if you know what I mean). I know that many people do not like it but when I want a little bit of colour and I don’t mind nude than this little pot is my answer.
That is my go to everyday lipstick when I need my lips to look more alive (which is more or less every day :)) The care is as Nivea promises really good, but it also gives a little colour which you do not have to correct while holding a mirror. It looks natural and leaves your lips protected. I have seen that there were three shades (peach, rink and red). I chose the red because I have too many pink lipsticks.
This is a product that I have bought on a plane because I was curious of it. And, to be honest I LOVE IT. It does not have a strong scent and it does not give any colour on your lips but the care and moisture is just unbelievable. It works from the very minute you apply it on your lips and it stays for a very long time. I almost have the feeling that it soaks into my lips instead of just lying on my lips (if you know what I mean). Even after I drink or eat something something I still feel I have it on my lips. I know that everytime I take a plane I will buy it.
Now, I hope that I have helped you at least a little bit to choose. If you know any other lip products that work please let me know in the comments section.
By the way, this article is not sponsored by any of the brands presented, It is my personal and subjective opinion. Some of the products mentioned may not work for you.
Before a migrane
- Remember to keep hydrated. Drink at least 1,5 litres of water a day. When it is hot outside or you are doing some exercises drink some more. The best way to keep track of you water intake is to have a big bottle of water close o you. That way you will know how much did you drink throughout the day
- When you drink coffee, remember to take some magnesium. It would be best to each food which is rich in magnesium. You can also drink some supplements.
- Do not overheat the room where you sleep. It needs to be full of fresh air and a comfortable temperature (18 degrees Celsius). Even if it is too cool for you at first – trust me, you will get used to that temperature. Remember, that it is better to have a thick duvet than to wake up with a migraine.
When the migraine kicks off
- Stay in bed if possible. Stay in a dark room – close the blinds etc. to give your eyes a break for a bit. If you have to go out try to wear shades to protect your eyes (a hat would be a good idea if the sun is shining strongly)
- Drink a lot of water during the day. Do not forget that step even if you feel sick (actually, especially if you feel sick)
- Take pain killers which are designed to fight migraines. Paracetamol with codeine and caffeine is (in my humble opinion) the best cure.
That was the explanation of my absence, now, let’s move to the key point of this post which is – my thyroid condition update.
For starters, I am not allowed to run anymore!!!
At least, not as intensive as I did (10k in May – see article here). I have to do more yoga, pilates or walking. I cannot make my body as tired as I did, cause it does not do my body any good. Now, with this hint, I stopped preparing for a 3k relay in September. The plan for my exercise is to practice pilates in my local gym and take the city bikes to get to work everyday. I will keep you updated when it comes to my fitness plan, but I am leaving it for my next post.